For most companies, one of the top complaints regarding technical documentation is that users cannot find the information they want or need. Typically, it’s not a matter of missing content, but of hidden content: the information has not been optimized for the user’s search strategies and is therefore often unfindable. What can information developers do to improve the search experience for their users?
Although some fraction of users may come to a documentation portal directly, the vast majority of users begin their search using a major commercial search engine. As a result, information developers need to fully understand how these engines work and what strategies to use in order to improve the visibility of their content in search results. This workshop offers practical advice for making technical content more accessible following the principles of search engine optimization (SEO).
Participants will develop a sound SEO strategy specifically targeted for technical documentation.
You will learn to
- Define your target audience and their needs
- Structure your site for easy discovery
- Optimize content for search
- Select appropriate keywords for your content
- Write effective titles and short descriptions
- Add rich snippets to make your content stand out
- Increase relevance scores
- Build your site’s reputation
- Use social media to your advantage
- Avoid “black hat” practices
- Evaluate your results